We Want to Achieve Through Systems Changes
to Bring Patient-Centered Care to Your Practice
members of the health care team including front desk personnel
and specialty providers should
support the philosophy of patient-centered care. Health care system redesign and training about cultural aspects of care may be necessary to make care truly patient-centered. Learning patient self-management support skills take additional time and training. When hiring a nurse or a dietitian, if possible, select an individual who is a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE). If facilities cannot afford to hire a full-time CDE, other CDEs in the community could be contacted for periodic assistance in an office or clinic setting or for referral.
referral to a CDE and a dietitian elsewhere in the community can
help meet patient needs and support self-management efforts.
To find a CDE in your community contact:
To find a dietitian in your community contact: www.eatright.org
A number of organizations provide resources that help facilities implement patient-centered care. Go to Resources for details and links to these organizations.
- The American Association of Diabetes Educators promotes the expertise of the diabetes educator, ensuring the delivery of quality diabetes self-management and identifies diabetes educators in local communitites.
- The American Diabetes Association endorses the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs and assesses whether applicants meet the National Standards. An application and tools are available.
- The American Dietetic Association promotes optimal nutrition, health and well-being and identifies dietitians in local communitites.
- The NCQA/ADA Diabetes Physician Recognition Program assesses physicians’ performance on measures of care for adults with diabetes and for children with diabetes.
- Diabetes Research and Training Centers' Prevention and Control Divisions offer a range of educational materials, including videotapes, curricula, and program guides for health professionals.
- The Indian Health Service offers an Integrated Diabetes Education
Recognition Program and provides sample materials for developing quality
diabetes education programs.
link takes you outside the Better Diabetes Care website. The NDEP does not endorse
or otherwise guarantee the accuracy of links that take you off this website.
-Return to the Top-
Patient Care: Health Insurance Coverage